Please keep checking back.
The first of a four-part series *, this four-day foundational course is an overview of transit procurement and emphasizes “best practices” for contract procurements by FTA grantees. This revised procurement course will focus on good procurement business practices and policies from a broader industry perspective. The course introduces minimum standards for individual agency practices as described in the FTA Circular 4220.1F, and the Master Agreement and provides participants with a framework for examining basic issues pertaining to third-party contracting. This training covers the roles and responsibilities of contracting parties and will explore opportunities for teaming/partnering internally and with transit suppliers. Specific problem areas that may emerge during the procurement process will be identified and addressed. The Best Practices Procurement Manual and Circular 4220.1F are referenced throughout the course. This course is conducted utilizing exercises, case studies, and other interactive training activities.
* It is highly recommended that the four procurement courses be taken in the following order: Orientation to Transit Procurement, Risk Assessment and Basic Cost or Price Analysis, RFP’s and Competitive Contract Negotiations, and Contract Administration.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Procurement “Best Practices”
- Teaming and Partnering
- Organization of the Procurement Function
- Functions and Principles of Procurement
- Acquisition Planning
- Option Year, Piggy-backing, and Cross-Border Leasing
- Writing Specifications and Statements of Work
- General Contract Provisions
- Procurement Integrity
- Debriefing and Protests
- FTA’s Role in the Procurement Process
This course is for those currently engaged in procurement for federal-funded transit agencies, contract administrators, project managers, procurement and contracting personnel wishing to improve their skills, transit suppliers, and FTA regional staff who review third-party contracting. Transit suppliers are encouraged to attend in order to understand the agency procurement function more thoroughly.
Length: 4 days
(Monday 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Tuesday – Thursday 8:30 am – 4:30
Friday– 8:30 am – 12:00 pm)
- $600.00 for Contractor, Consulting, Non-USA Transportation or Government Agency, Other
- $600 for Non-Profit (USA only).
- Free for all others.