Audience: This introductory-level workshop is geared for transit professionals, which include planners, engineers, operators, and individuals employed by MPOs, DOTs, and transportation agencies that will be involved in the planning, implementation, and ongoing management of transit ITS applications.
Description: The goal of the workshop is to increase awareness of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technologies and how they can be used to deliver safer and more efficient transit services. This workshop will provide the opportunity for participants to network and will illustrate ITS deployment examples from peer agencies. Participants will have the opportunity to hear case study presenters discuss their successful ITS deployments, and will tour a transit facility that showcases the use of ITS technologies.
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Examine federal ITS regulations (23 CFR 940) relative to ITS projects
- Identify technologies suitable for public transportation deployments
- Investigate the use of feasibility analyses in identifying technologies to address needs
- Discuss best practices for successful ITS procurements
- Review timely industry topics, such as:
- Social media’s role in transit
- Branding/marketing your ITS products
- Open source/open data
- Enterprise architecture