Transit asset management represents a strategic approach to managing transit assets. It focuses on an agency's business processes for resource allocation and utilization with the objective of better decision-making based upon quality information and well-defined objectives. The key principles of asset management represent a perspective that a department can adopt in looking at its current procedures and seeing how better decisions on infrastructure can be made with better information.
This course is directed at mid- and senior-level managers who are involved in the day-to-day operation and use transit assets including rolling stock, guideway, and facilities to perform their duties. The individuals attending this course could be in the operations, maintenance, facilities, infrastructure and financial areas.
Executive management will also benefit from the course.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define and understand transit asset management
- Recognize the benefits of transit asset management and how it can help their transit system.
- Reference FTA policies relative to protecting assets
- Determine how to establish key performance indicators applicable to their needs
- Describe basic asset management principles
- Provide strategies to develop and implement an asset management program through proactive measures
The goal of this course is to support the use of asset management in transit agencies through information dissemination.